Did you remember to exclude namespaces from output?

When you work with , transforming XML to for instance the web in some CMS system, you might use some extra namespaces. Perhaps the CMS offers you some utilitiy to handle relevant datastructure or procedures. You add them to your but perhaps you forgot to tell the processor not to add the namespaces to the output? Well I do some times…

 

Namespaces in a XSLT template

Adding namespaces to get extra features in your XSLT templates is easy. You may or may not think about it, but you will allways add at least one namespace “xsl”. Using Microsoft Visual Studio and selecting “New XSLT…” you will probertly also get a MS namespace like this: “msxsl”. I all happens in the beging of the template like this:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
  xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"
  exclude-result-prefixes="msxsl "
  xmlns:cs="urn:custom-cs"
>

In the above example there are three namespaces:

  • xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
  • xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"
  • xmlns:cs="urn:custom-cs"

The first one “xsl” is telling the XSLT processor that we are using XSLT and that the we will be using the XSLT rules defined in 1999 by w3.org.

The next one “msxsl” addes MS custom features and will give you some nice new features, for instance functions to format dates (ms:format-date Function).

The last one I use for adding custom C# code in my XSLT. That is a very powerfull way of extending the XSLT processor with your own custom .NET code. But please take care when doing that!

 

Removing the namespace from the output

If you use custom namespaces you may end up with the namespaces added to the output elements. In the above code you may observe that there is an attribute “exclude-result-prefixes” on the xsl:stylesheet tag. It is used to tell the XSLT processor which namespaces should not be added to the output elements. I have added “msxsl” but not “cs”. I the example I use XSLT in Dynamicweb CMS to generate HTML, so I may get output looking like this:

<ul xmlns:cs="urn:custom-cs">

That is not what I wanted! To remove the “cs” namespace I simply need to modify the xsl:stylesheet attribute “exclude-result-prefix” to:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
  xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"
  exclude-result-prefixes="msxsl cs"
  xmlns:cs="urn:custom-cs"
>

I have added the “cs” namespace, so I will now get a tag without the “cs” namespace in my HTML.

US

Leave a Reply